Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

I am the sum of all my parts.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Party

Before I get in to what happened at the party, J.T. has demanded that I clear his good name. He never set me up with "Todd". Okay, yes he did, but Todd was not who showed up for the date. That was Todd's cousin Brian. Apparently Todd landed a hot date with a lady he has been pursuing for quite a while. So, he asked Brian to step in. To my misfortune, he stressed to Brian how truly desperate I was for a date, for the Christmas Party. Brian decided it would be great fun to test exactly how needful I might be.

I have received flowers and apologies from all involved parties. Well, not J.T., but he really wasn't at fault. Guess it's a good thing I didn't say anything too horrible to him. But alas, explanations and apologies not withstanding. I attended the Christmas party solo. Not such a stigmatic thing. Plenty of people came alone.
Even some of the married people. Guess their spouses think we are boring. :)

Now, where to start. Tiffany and I met up outside the party and went in together. She decided to come single in support of me, I think. We went in and mingled. Nibbled at appetizers. Laughed at some good and some not so good jokes. Then I saw Jack. More appropriately, I turned to call out to a friend and almost threw myself into his arms. Sometimes it would be nice to have the ability to see behind you....

They announced dinner then. Loudly too. Why are those mikes always so loud? Of course, we were seated in clumps, by departments. Tiffany and I and our two empty chairs were seated with Jack, his date, Le Shaun, and his date. In an aside, I think Le Shaun's companion was the most muscularly large gentleman I have ever seen! Le Shaun introduced his date, Alec, to us. He is an accountant. Jack, then introduced his companion. Her name is Jessica, she is some sort of lawyer, and is disgustingly exquisite. Her hair was up in some intricate, second cousing to a french roll. All golden and silky. Her skin was like alabaster. She must never go out in the daylight. She was also tall and willowy. I really wanted to hate her.....petty.....childish....I know. But there it is. There he sat looking all gorgeous in his dinner jacket. Sleek dark brown hair. Eyes the color of peridots. Sinfully long dark lashes. (Why does God waste lashes like that on men?) There she sat next to him. Barbie, but better.........I really wanted to dislike her.

I couldn't though. Jessica was very nice. She was friendly and warm. She was genuinely interested in the conversation.....I found myself looking for something to dislike about her....Did she have an annoying laugh?....No.....Was she a vamp?...No....Did she a have a uni-brow or hairy lips?.....No.

Just when I was about to order something stronger to drink, Jack informed us that he and Jessica had been best friends since second grade......Best friends?....You know, I knew I liked her.....Am I pathetic or what?

The evening progressed. We talked. We danced. Jack asked me to dance. I was a nervous wreck and trying not to be obvious about it. While he was guiding me around the floor, he leaned down to whisper in my ear. "You are beautiful, when your jealous."

Ha. Ha......Jealous?....Who me?.....Who am I kidding?.....Not him, that's for certain!

"She is no threat to you." he breathed.

I have to admit my brain wasn't functioning well at that point. Between the dancing and him whispering in my ear, I was sort of goosepimply and breathless.....That is such a lame description of how I was feeling, but I was shivering, I did break out with goosebumps, and I certainly was having difficulty drawing a full breath...There still was this thin, small voice telling me this was a BAD idea. I was having trouble hearing it, but it was there.

In hindsight, wearing a nearly backless dress was probably a bad idea. I had no idea a man lightly caressing your back as you danced could be so erotic.....Sorry, I shivered just remembering it. The dance lasted too long and ended too quickly. He sedately walked me back to the table. So blaise'....Obviously his internal organs hadn't all melted like hot butter.

The rest of the evening passed in a fog for me. I didn't really become aware of my surroundings again until I was waiting outside for a cab. Tiffany and I were sharing. The grilling commenced as soon as our cab pulled up. She was highly dissapointed by my answers. I couldn't focus on anything but the memory of his hand, those eyes, and whatever that incredible cologne was that he was wearing. I don't know how I'll handle work on Monday. Obviously my hormones are out of control.

Type more at you later, fellow bloggers.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home